Saturday 1 October 2011

Week 2 day 2 = DISASTER!

I was so impressed with myself this morning getting out of bed at 6.45 to head out for a run.  I got myself up and sorted, grabbed my water and phone and headed out. 

While I was doing my warm up walk I noticed a strange man was following me and every direction I went he changed where he was going to follow, he also cut across the grass to come towards me and it totally freaked me out.  I was starting to panic and had to dodge through lots of different short cuts to get rid of him, not a good start!!

When it got to the 90 second run I found the first one was not a problem but by the 2nd I was already starting to struggle and had to walk for the end of it, by the third one I was in so much pain in my left leg that I was limping.  I tried to carry on but I literally felt like my legs had turned into jelly.  For the first time since I started C25K I had to finish the run early.  I even struggled to walk home.

I had a bad stomach bug on thursday and I have a feeling that I might not have recovered as fully as I thought and because of the bug I haven't ate very much the past 2 or 3 days so this has probably all had an impact.

I am disappointed but I am going to try not to dwell on it and just repeat day 2 week 2 in a couple of days when my legs have recovered and rested. 

3 comments:

  1. Might sound crazy but make sure you're not running too fast. A common mistake with beginners is to run too fast when starting out. I even struggle to pace myself properly now and in fact suspect this cold I've had for 4 weeks is actually a touch of overtraining as my "easy" runs never are slow enough.

    As you run make sure you can hold a conversation with yourself, might even help keep the weird blokes away if they think you're crazy too.

    As winter starts to draw in I know Sara and I will have to time our runs together better from a safety perspective. Any friends or family members willing to run with you ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firstly, I agree with what Nina said. Safety is key.

    Secondly, make sure you rest properly in between runs. I sometimes give myself three or four days if I'm feeling tired between runs to make sure I'm not overdoing it.

    Thirdly, after having a good rest go out and try day 2 again. There's no shame in repeating days. You are out there and trying. That's the main thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wholehartedly agree with the others. Although, I suspect the fright you got this morning knocked the wind out of you, so to speak.

    Do give yourself plenty of recovery time and make sure you're fighting fit before getting back out there to repeat wk2,d2.

    You will always encounter good runs and bad runs, for whatever reason, no matter how much of an experienced runner you are. You've just got the file away the bad ones under "just one of those runs" and not get too hung up about it.

    ReplyDelete